Monday, May 9, 2011

It was fun...

        I chose to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding, to analyze for my Linguistic Analysis paper, and I am so glad!  I always wanted to see the movie but just never had.  I definitely thought I would get sick of it, after alllllll of the rewinding, pausing, fast forwarding, transcribing, and analyzing, but I found myself watching it again, after I was done.  I think this was in part, due to the fact that the Portokalos family reminded me a bit of my own (though mines Italian).  I wrote in my paper how their family is high volubility/ low distance and that certainly rings true for mine!  Sometimes it feels like everybody is in your business, you have no privacy, and people are making insulting comments without even thinking.    There is, however, an overabundance of food and family at every occasion we have, but sometimes, it's just because it's a Sunday.  While analyzing the movie, a few times I found it a little difficult to pinpoint mistakes in their language, because some of the accents, opinions and behaviors are so closely related to what I have experienced and am used to hearing.  Seriously, even down to Aunt Voula's bibopsy.... my aunt happens to be able to pronounce the word properly, but... I kid you not, she had the SAME thing happen to her about 8 years ago.  Anyway, as cheesy as I feel admitting it, I have not laughed as hard as I did during this movie,  in ages.

Vocabulary


My Big Fat Greek Wedding- (n) Movie about a stereotypical Greek family and the marriage of their 30 year old daughter to a Non- Greek.


transcribe (v)- To make a written copy

Portokalos family- (n) Family of the main character, Toula, in the movie, MBFGW


high volubility/low distance- (adj) Excessive speaking and closeness with poor boundaries

overabundance- (n) An amount that is greater than required

seriously - (adv) with genuine intent

biopsy- (n) removal of a piece of tissue from a living being, to be used for close study

Write the correct vocabulary word or phrase in the blank


1.  There weren't enough seats, due to the ____________ of people at the show.
2. Many Greek and Italian families can be characterized by _________/__________ relationships.
3. By the way he looked at her, you could tell he was __________ in love.
4. It did not take that long to ____________ the part from MBFGW, that I needed for my paper.
5. The movie, _____________________________ is a hysterical, romantic comedy.
6. I was a little scared when I had my skin checked at the dermatologist and had to have a       _____________________ taken.

Please write a five sentence paragraph about what your favorite funny movie is, and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment